Lodge St Andrew No: 1437 S.C.  Singapore
History of Lodge St Andrew No: 1437 S.C. Lodge   St.   Andrew   was   consecrated   more   than   60   years   ago   when   the   brethren   of Lodge   Ailsa   No.   1172   S.C.   successfully   petitioned   the   Grand   Lodge   of   Scotland   for approval   to   form   a   second   Scottish   lodge   in   Singapore.   This   was   in   response   to   the heavy    demand    for    membership    on    Lodge   Ailsa,    then    the    only    Scottish    lodge    in Singapore.   Bro.   V.N.   Wade   proposed   and   Bro.   I.A.   MacLachlan   seconded   that   the name   of   the   new   lodge   be   known   as   Lodge   St.   Andrew. 1 The   Lodge   was   consecrated at   a   Special   Communication   of   the   District   Grand   Lodge   of   the   Middle   East   on   18 th June   1949   by   the   Right   Worshipful   District   Grand   Master,   Bro.   Edwin   Victor   Coates Thomson. 2 Bro.   Harold   Cushing   Faxon   was   installed   as   the   Charter   Right   Worshipful Master. Lodge Crest The   design   for   the   Lodge   crest   was   proposed   by   Bro   J.H.M.   Summers,   the   Charter Director   of   Ceremony   of   the   Lodge. 3 Bro   Summers   went   on   to   become   the   Right Worshipful   District   Grand   Master   of   the   DGLME   from   1955-1958.   No   documents   in   our records   were   found   to   indicate   the   choice   of   the   design.   From   the   design   elements   it can be surmised that the following guiding principles were adopted. The   St.   Andrew   Cross   signifies   the   origin   of   the   name   of   the   Lodge.   Saint   Andrew being   the   patron   saint   of   Scotland.   The   VSL,   Square   and   Compasses,   the   three   Great Lights   are   symbols   of   Freemasonry.   They   signify   the   Masonic   origin   and   objectives   of the Lodge. The   Lion   Rampant   is   drawn   from   the   Royal   Standard   of   Scotland.   This   is   not   the national   flag   of   Scotland   but   the   Royal   Standard   of   the   King   of   Scots.   It   signifies Scottish origin of the Lodge. The   Lion   Passant   (one   paw   raised)   with   a   coconut   palm   tree,   probably   taken   from   the coat   of   arms   of   the   Municipal   Commission   of   Singapore   and   later   the   new   City   of Singapore   in   1948,   is   symbolic   of   Singapore,   the   Lion   City. 4 The   Scottish   Thistle entwined further reinforces the Scottish heritage of the Lodge. Lodge Tartan The   Murray   of Atholl   tartan   was   adopted   as   the   Lodge   colors   on   27 th January   1949.   It was   proposed   by   Bro   V.N.   Wade   who   was   the   District   Grand   Secretary   and   seconded by    Bro.    Walter    Wearne.    The    reason    for    this    choice    was    not    documented.    It    was unfortunate   that   the   Lodge   had   difficulty   in   locating   the   Murray   of Atholl   Tartan   for   its apron   and   over   the   years   the   Lodge   tartan   had   slowly   shifted   to   that   of   the   current Murray of Tullibardine Tartan Membership Over   the   years   the   strength   and   composition   of   Lodge   has   waxed   and   waned.   During the    formative    years    the    members    were    mostly    expatriates.    With    independence    of Singapore,    the    number    of    local    members    gradually    increased    and    those    of    the expatriates   diminished.   The   current   membership   is   best   described   as   multinational with    a    healthy    mix    of    locals    and    expatriates    of    diverse    nationalities.    St   Andrew currently   has   91   Qualified   Members,   of   which   58   are   Resident   Members,   13   are Absent Members and 20 are Absent Life Members. It   is   often   said   that   Lodge   St   Andrew   is   a   doctors’   Lodge.   While   it   is   true   that   we   had at   one   time   or   other,   some   18   doctors   and   dentists   in   our   Lodge,   we   do   have   our share     of     lawyers,     engineers,     bankers,     accountants     entrepreneurs,     academics, scientists,    chemists,    surveyors,    actuaries,    property    developers    and    even    a    prize- winning    chef.    This    eclectic    blend    of    professionals    probably    accounts    for    the interesting and vibrant character of a typical St. Andrew meeting. Among   the   distinguished   brethren   of   the   Lodge   were   5   DGMs   in   the   persons   of   Bro. Harold   Cushing   Faxon   (1950-1955),   Bro.   J.H.M.   Summers   (1955-1958),   Bro.   D.C.Bindon (1963-1968,    1968-1973)    and    Bro.    T.A.    Keegan    (1973-1981),    Bro    J.L.    Barclay    (1981- 1987);    2    Depute    DGMs,    Bro.    J.    Crawford,    Bro.    Gerald    Chan    Cheow    Kiat;    and    3 Substitute DGMs, Bro P.L. Barclay, Bro. Khoo Soo Seng and Bro Yip Wing Kong. References: 1   Shum,   Siew   Khoon,   50 th Anniversary   of   Lodge   St. Andrew   Golden   Jubilee   Souvenir Magazine. Singapore, 1999, p 11. 2 The Pentagram. 1950, p 118. 3   Shum,   Siew   Khoon,   50 th Anniversary   of   Lodge   St. Andrew   Golden   Jubilee   Souvenir Magazine. Singapore, 1999, p 12. 4      Herman      Felani,      The      Military      and      Paramilitary      Flags      of      Singapore. http://hfmy.110mb.com/FlagsMilitary.html, assessed September 2009. 5   Shum,   Siew   Khoon,   50 th Anniversary   of   Lodge   St. Andrew   Golden   Jubilee   Souvenir Magazine. Singapore, 1999, p 32.
.
The   above   text   was   part   of   a   speech   presented   by   Bro   Yip   Wing   Kong during   our   Lodge’s   60th   Anniversary   celebartion   in   2009   during   the Ladies Festival in 2009
Regular Lodge Meeting: 3rd Monday of each month - Dress Code Black Tie Formal - Tyle @ 6:30pm
History of Lodge St Andrew No. 1437 S.C. Singapore Principles of Freemasonry lies with the great truths upon which it is founded, existed at the beginning of time. They have existed in full splendor from that time to this, and will continue to exist until time shall be no more.